Jason:Thanks everyone for coming to this important roundtable discussion about the future of our organization. The first matter I want to discuss is membership. Does anyone have any comments on increasing membership? (傑森:謝謝大家前來參加這個關於我們組織前景的重要圓桌討論會。我想要討論的第一件事是會員的問題。有沒有人對增加會員人數有意見?)
Harlan:In my view, the choice is clear—we need to lower the membership fee and attract new members. (哈藍:依我的看法,選擇一清二楚——我們得降低會費,吸引新會員加入。)
Jason:How do people feel about Harlan’s comments? (傑森:大家對哈藍的說法有什麼意見?)
Simone:From my perspective, the membership fee is fine as it is. I don’t think we need to change it. I think we need to offer better programs. (席夢:從我的觀點來看,原本的會費沒問題,我覺得我們不需要改。我認為我們需要的是提供更好的課程。)
Jason:Who would like to talk about the programs we offer? (傑森:有沒有人想談談我們提供的課程?)
Daphne:To be honest, I think Simone is right. (戴芬妮:老實說,我覺得席蒙說的有理。)
Jason:OK, let’s hear what other people think about the programs. (傑森:好。我們來聽聽其他人對課程有什麼看法。)
Sammi:I tend to think we need more programs like “Power Meetings.” (珊咪:我傾向認為我們需要更多像「強力會議」那樣的課程。)
Jason:Does everyone understand what “Power Meetings” means? (傑森:每個人都懂「強力會議」指的是什麼嗎?)
Simone:No, what do you mean by “Power Meetings?” (席夢:我不懂。你說的「強力會議」是什麼意思呢?)
Jason:“Power Meetings” was a program we had several years ago where we invited several importantgovernment people to explain difficult regulations. I think “Power Meetings” was a useful program, but it wouldn’t work again. (傑森:「強力會議」是我們好幾年前的一個課程,我們當時邀請好幾位政府要員前來闡釋難懂的規章。我認為「強力會議」這樣的課程雖然實用,可是再舉辦就行不通了。)
Sammi:I’m sorry, Jason, I don’t follow you. Why wouldn’t it work? (珊咪:抱歉,傑森,我沒聽懂你的意思。為什麼會行不通?)
Jason:Well, it really wasn’t very popular with most of the members. To sum up, the program didn’t generateenough interest. In short, the topic was not popular with enough people. (傑森:嗯,「強力會議」當初事實上並沒有受到多數會員的歡迎。總而言之,那個課程並未引起足夠的興趣。簡單來說,欣賞該主題的人數不夠多。)
必通詞彙與句型
Does anyone have any comments on (sth.)? 對於(某事物),有人有意見嗎?
How do people feel about (sb.’s) comments? 大家對(某人)的評論有何感想?
From my perspective, (sth.) is (adj.). 從我的觀點來看,(某事物)(形容詞)。
Who would like to talk about (sth.)? 誰想談談(某事物)?
To be honest, I think (sth.). 老實說,我覺得(某事物)。
Let’s hear what other people think about (sth.). 我們來聽聽其他人對(某事物)有什麼看法。