152 Dolores St. , Apt 3C
San Francisco , CA 94114
First Ocean Realty
2500 Divisadero St .
San Francisco , CA 94123
Re: Immediate repairs needed
Dear Mr. Patterson,
I have been living in the apartment at 152 Dolores Street for 14 years. I've been a loyal tenant and paid my rent on time during that entire period. I have also regularly agreed to the yearly increase in rent. However, I am very dissatisfied with how you handle repairs.
Four months ago I sent you notice about several repairs needed in the apartment. This included repairing or replacing windows that do not close and lock properly, fixing the radiator, and replacing the kitchen cabinets.
Exactly one month ago, the superintendent came to my apartment to take a look at the needed repairs. He fixed the radiator and replaced the kitchen cabinets. He told me you handle all window repairs because you deal with the window company directly. I left a phone message for you about this matter but never received a reply.
The last time I called was on July 23 rd , and you told me a window repairman would come to my house the following Tuesday. The repairman did not come.
This problem needs to 1 immediately. There have been several burglaries in the neighborhood and I do not feel safe in the apartment. I would rather keep this matter out of the courts, but if a window repairman 2 not come to my apartment by August 2 nd , I will have to 3 legal action.
1. (A) address (B) addressing (C) be addressed (D) let to address
2. (A) does (B) will (C) did (D) would
3. (A) search (B) seek (C) suit (D) send
1. 本題考動詞之正確用法。 "address" 當動詞時可指「在 ( 信封、包裹上 ) 寫上收件人姓名地址」、「寫信給 ... 」、「向 ... 致詞」、「對 ... 說話」、「稱呼」等。不過在本句中以上幾個意思顯然皆不適用；在本句中 "address" 指的是「著手處理」之意。由於主詞是 "This problem" 「這個問題」，由此推斷，只要是「主動式」的選項皆不會是答案。而四個選項中只有 (C) be addressed 為「被動式」，因此可確定為正確答案。
2. 本題考動詞之正確時態。由本句句尾的 "I will have to..." 可知，其前之 "if" 子句 ( 條件子句 ) 亦應屬「未來式」。但依文法， "if" 子句中不可用「未來式」，而應用「現在式」來代替未來。因此，本題應選 (A) does 。
3. 本題考正確之用字。空格後之 "legal action" 指的是「法律行動」，而最常與之共用的動詞為 "take"("take legal action" 即「採取法律行動」之意 ) 。但是 四個選項中並沒有 "take" ，唯一可以以 "legal action" 做為其受詞者只有 (B) seek ，但 "seek" 在此並不指「尋找」，而是指「求取」，其受詞除了本句中的 "legal action" 外，還可以是 "help" 「協助」、 "advice" 「忠告」、 "information" 「資訊；情報」等。注意，不可選 (A) search ，因為 "search" 只能指「尋找」、「搜查」，而無「 求取 」之意。