|To: ||Alice Worley <firstname.lastname@example.org> |
|From: ||Marcie Stephenson <chef@DownhomeGrill.com> |
|Subject: ||Canceled Invoice |
|Attachment: ||cheese. jpg (1.2MB); crackers. jpg (599KB); nuts. jpg (616KB) |
I ordered fresh cheese, whole crackers, and edible nuts. What I received was spoiled cheese, cracker crumbs, and nuts that had spilled out of their plastic containers and all over the box. None of these were safe to eat, and I believe it is quite reasonable to refuse to pay for such products. I am especially displeased that you tried to ask me to pay more for them.
You referenced the purchase agreement I signed, but because you did not provide products that I could use, I do not believe the agreement is binding. I did not return the purchase 1 concern for our Wisconsin postal carriers, who no doubt have rules against transporting potentially dangerous packages of spoiled and malodorous food. 2 , I could not return the order in the original packaging because much of the original packaging was not 3 when I received it. I suspect that the shipping company is to blame. It is likely that the package was not refrigerated during shipment (hence the spoiled cheese) and not treated gently (hence the crushed crackers and broken nut containers).
I should note that immediately after I realized there was a problem I took several photographs of the package, which I have attached. You can see for yourself what your products looked like when they arrived at my restaurant. You are welcome to use the photos in negotiations with your shipping company, but please do not continue to ask me for payment.
Head Chef and Owner, Marcie's Downhome Grill
1. (A) into (B) upon (C) out of (D) without
2. (A) In other words (B) In any event (C) In most cases (D) In no time
3. (A) intact (B) feasible (C) refundable (D) detrimental
1. 本題考正確介系詞的用法。由前後文意來判斷，寄信者之所以未將貨品寄回 ("did not return the purchase") 是「由於」對郵差的關心 ("concern for our Wisconsin postal carriers") 。四個選項中唯一能表達「由於」的只有 (C) out of 。【注意，嚴格說， "out of" 屬所謂「片語介系詞」，也就是，呈片語形式的介系詞，用法與一般介系詞相同。】
2. 本題考正確之慣用語。選項 (A) In other words 是「換句話說」的意思；選項 (B) In any event 指「不管怎樣」；選項 (C) In most cases 是「在大多數情況下」之意；選項 (D) In no time 則指「立刻」。在前一句中寄信者提到她是「刻意」未把貨品寄回，而空格後的句子則說明她未能把貨品寄回的真正原因。二者間合理的「起承轉合」因此應為 (B) In any event 。
3. 本題為單字題。本題四個選項皆為形容詞：選項 (A) intact 指「完整無缺的」；選項 (B) feasible 是「可行的」之意；選項 (C) refundable 是「可退款的」；選項 (D) detrimental 指「有害的」。由於須填入空格中的單字應用來修飾 "the original packaging" 「原來的包裝」，因此唯一合理的形容詞為 (A) intact 。